Saturday, December 31, 2016

THIS OLD QUILT ~

This old quilt was made by Grandma and has see better days. 
With each washing at the end of winter the holes became larger; showing how each piece was stitched by hand and not on a machine. 
Grandma Persons with Dad.
1933
 For years I kept in my sewing box,
glass buttons that belonged to my other Grandmother. 
Grandma Lind and Mom
1956
I had one large glass button and the others were small glass buttons.  









Mom and Dad at Dad's retirement party,
36 yrs. with the Fla. National Guard.
1986
At the top of the Christmas Trees are brass military buttons from Dad's uniform. 
You know how there are extra buttons in little bags when you buy a sweater, jacket, dress or blouse?? 
I found a huge zip-lock gallon bag filled with multi colored and shaped buttons in Mom's closet last month and immediately knew exactly how I was going to use them: Dad's buttons, Grandma's glass buttons and Grandma's blanket - 
This year's Christmas presents for my sister, cousin, and Mom's grandchildren!! 
Touched by three generations and shared
with Family from the Heart! 


6 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the presents are pretty! A lovely gift idea! Have a happy and safe weekend! I wish you and your family all the best in 2017, Happy New Year!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a lovely gift and so full of love and memories. I thank you for your kind words on my blog. So sorry to hear of your Mother's problems. I hope you can get things taken care of. Having my Mother next door to me now has been such a blessing. Keep in touch. Happy New Year my friend.

Linda

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a wonderful idea! I cut an old quilt that my grandmother made a couple of years ago and made myself a teddy bear. I need to keep going and make some other things to share. Happy New year! Hugs, Diane

Mereknits said...

Perfect idea! They made such gorgeous presents. Happy New YEar.

BeachGypsy said...

I adore old quilts! they IMMEDIATLY remind me of both my Grandmas. They both made beautiful quilts. I have some, and I treasure them so. I love love love these quilt ornaments you have made---those are truly family treasures and are/will be wonderful heirlooms for future generations. I love the idea and especially how you added the buttons. Love the old pictures too.

handmade by amalia said...

So lovely, Susan. I do like crafts that come with a bit of history.
Amalia
xo