Sunday, December 6, 2015

GETTING OLD --> AGING

GETTING OLD   
AGING
I was excited when I turned 60 because
I could retire if I wanted!!
Now at 62 --
I can receive Social Security –
IF I were to retire!
Wish I could stop aging - RIGHT NOW!!

Just saying. . . .
Thank you Younger Sister,
for the lovely flowers!
Speaking of being OLD -
This is my dear sweet Augie --- he’s OLD!!
He’s 13, and for his size and his breed --- 
my guy is on borrowed time! 


Every morning when I scratch his ears
to wake him up;
he slowly crawls out of his crate in 

our bedroom, stretches, 

 hacks like he smoked 3 packs a day
and stiffly, hobbles to the kitchen!
I tell ya what, everyday,
I’m grateful that God has given me another day
with my Augie.
Augie is teaching me GRATITUDE of TIME!!
This year, I’m having a difficult time! 
It seems to take a lifetime to learn how
to live in the moment!
To appreciate right now, this very second.  

Thank you Danny for the awesome Lobster Dinner and Thank you Kids for our Birthday Brunch!! 
Aging is one of the strangest things that happens to human beings.  It's a process no one can escape - We all grow old. 
My Mom is 85 next month.  She has physical problems that comes with aging, but she lives with a positive attitude.  She enjoys her life.  She is out and about delivering flowers from her church, meeting friends for Birthday luncheons, going to sorority meetings, and attending plays at the local theater. 
I'm grateful for her example in life. 
I have found each decade, each age, has opportunities that weren't actually there in the previous years.   
I do look forward to retiring (in a year or two?) - exploring new interests, spending time with my family and writing about family.  
It's interesting that we spend the first half of our lives collecting "stuff" - a big house, big car, big toys and such. This second half of life, happiness is based on personal success of skills, my talents, humor (lots of laughing), gratitude, helping others, the pleasure of my friends, the love of my family and the joy of love and my faith. 
Aging is an adventure that we're on,
and Time is of the essence.  

Life IS short, make sure to do important things now!
Happiness is a choice, not a condition. 

Think of others - give of yourself!
If I could do anything differently in my life, I would be more compassionate about people in general.
Never, ever go to bed mad! It eats at your soul! 
And lastly - what I want to strive for is to have faith. 
I believe in a "greater being!" I believe in God and life after this life. 
I haven't written this blog to preach to others or for any one particular person. I have written this passage for myself!! If you write something down - you are more likely to follow it, to do it!! 
Every human lifetime has a beginning and an end.
It's how you live your life, right here, right now that becomes your Living Legacy.


8 comments:

Terri @ Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Thanks for sharing- I think one of my worst faults is to wish time away...it's hard to stop doing that...waiting on fall, or waiting on spring...
Have a wonderful Sunday.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Birthday sweet friend. I'm a 'little' older than you but I believe in living life to the fullest...and being happy along the way! Sending you lots of birthday hugs, Diane

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Happy Birthday! I had one of those milestone birthdays this year (65) and I'm really trying to enjoy it and not let it fly away without being present in each and every day. My Mom is 85 and we both try to be positive. I really enjoyed what your wrote.
hugs,
Linda

Mereknits said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, you look fantastic by the way, happiness will do that for you. I am not happy about aging, but I am happy about my age if that makes any sense at all. The alternative is that I am not here anymore and that would be horrible. We all have to age, I am trying to do it as gracefully as I can. You are setting a great standard.
Hugs,
Meredith

BeachGypsy said...

Happy birthday my friend!! What a lovely post! So much wisdom there. So glad you had a happy birthday Celebration!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Augie looks like such a love. Bless him! Ironically, I also hobble to the kitchen in the morning. Ha! Every bone and joint injury I've ever had has come back to haunt me with each passing year. Aging indeed is a very strange thing. My kids keep getting older but surely I'm not. :) Your mom looks great. And so do you!

handmade by amalia said...

Happy birthday, Susan. You look lovely and so happy, I'm glad you had a wonderful day.
Amalia
xo

Tonya Stephens said...

Love, love, love this. So true and such a great way of wording it.