Sunday, April 6, 2014

NEW ORLEANS - THE STREETCARS & ST. CHARLES AVE

 Out the front door of our hotel The Pontchartrain, was a pick up for the St. Charles Streetcar.
We parked the van when we arrived on Monday and didn't need it again until we pulled away from the hotel on Friday to come home.
The RTA operates four streetcar lines which run along or intersect with Canal Street in the area between the French Quarter and the Central Business District and along the river. 
It's only $1.25 (have exact change) for a ride. 
We purchased a 3-day Jazzy Pass for $9. which gives unlimited travel on buses and all the streetcars.
St. Charles Ave. has been described as "The Jewel of American's Grand Avenues."
We rode the St. Charles Street Car out to the historic Audubon Park, across the street from Loyola and Tulane University. 
    A Cypress Tree with knees along 
the bank of the pond.    
The Live Oaks were magnificent 
with new leaves coming out. 

Can you imagine the history these gentle giants 
have experienced. If only they could talk.


The streetcar rumbles along fairly slowly 
and stops enough to take pictures 
of the homes that line the street. 
St. Charles is the place of residential grandeur. 

Our hotel clerk remarked that when you live 
on St. Charles Avenue -  
"You have arrived!" 
These are but a few examples of the, architectural grand homes
that decorate St. Charles Avenue.
Truly a jewel along New Orleans most splendid thoroughfares. 

10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely tour of the city. The houses look beautiful and I love the park! Riding the streetcar looks like fun too. It is nice not having to drive and find parking. Thanks for sharing your trip! Have a happy weekend!

Jan Newman said...

Lovely photos of this great city. I've seen only a little of the St. Charles Avenue area and wish to see more.

TexWisGirl said...

they really are grand homes! and GREAT trees!

Velva said...

Looks like you had an amazing time in Nola - awesome trip!

Velva

Cranberry Morning said...

This looks just fascinating to me. General Longstreet lived in NO after the War and I would love to see the city and where his office used to stand.

Chris said...

Hi there, what a beautiful place. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I lived near Tulane years ago and rode the St Charles street car all the time. So fun to see it all through your eyes.

Richard Cottrell said...

My Dearest, I'd gladly throw you a party if I can go with you to my favorite New Orleans next time. I'm sending love and Sissy kisses from my blog to yours. Richard from My Old Historic House

Ruth Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see grand homes and old trees of the area.

Gail Dixon said...

What a fun way to see the city! My husband only wants to go to the French Quarter, but I really want to see some of the other well-known places like this. Thank you for the tour of this beautiful, historic city.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...